Our May 24 Deep Dialogue featured a presentation and Q&A with guests Michael Kellett of RESTORE The North Woods and Janet Sinclair of Concerned Citizens of Franklin County, co-authors of two complementary forest bills we support, H.912 (An Act Relative to Forest Protection) and H.1002 (An Act Relative to Increased Protection of Wildlife Management Areas).That legislation would designate most public lands as parks and reserves that are off-limits to commercial logging and other resource development, protecting almost 9% of the state’s land base.
Deep Dialogues and Expert Series
Michael Sales, one of the founding members of ECA Mass, facilitated a Deep Dialogue discussion on April 26, giving us an overview of national climate initiatives and the people in Washington DC who are moving these proposals forward. Guest Anna Lenhart, Senior Legislative Assistant to US Rep. Lori Trahan (Mass 3rd Congressional District), shared her perspectives. (Michael’s introductory remarks, and the discussion with Anna Lenhart, were not recorded.) But you can watch the video of Michael’s illustrated presentation, and the lively Q&A that followed.
In support of our mission to combat climate change, we presented an educational series aimed at Massachusetts climate activists who want to understand and participate in the state’s planning to dramatically reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Part 1 – Getting to and beyond Net Zero – a Massachusetts approach. This video covers.
Why we must go beyond net zero to “net negative” emissions.
Progress the state has made to date in reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Core principles and values moving forward.
The slides for Part 1 are here.
- Part 2 – Getting Rid of Fossil Fuels in Transportation and Buildings. This video covers.
- The primary strategy – electrification with clean electricity.
- Transportation electrification – approaches, challenges, alternatives.
- Building electrification – approaches, challenges, alternatives.
- Impact on demand for electricity
The slides for Part 2 are here.
- Part 3 – Achieving 100% Clean Electricity in Massachusetts. This video covers.
- The key requirements for electricity
- A close look at wind and solar – the variable renewables.
- Approaches to address variability.
The slides for Part 3 are here.